Now that WebRTC 1.0 is here, what comes next? On February 17, 2021, WebRTC.ventures produced our 51st episode of WebRTC Live. Arin was joined by Microsoft Principal Architect and W3C WebRTC Co-Chair, Bernard Aboba. They discussed what is coming down the pipe in WebRTC-NV.
This content built upon the conversation Arin had last month with Tsahi Levent-Levi on WebRTC Live Episode 50: WebRTC Trends for 2021. And also on this in-depth Q&A that Bernard did with Chad Hart on webrtcH4cKS last December.
We’ve replicated much of the information from the presentation slides below for ease of assessing all of the helpful links that Bernard provided. Come back after watching the episode!
Join us for WebRTC Live Episode 52 on Wednesday, March 17:
Automated Testing for WebRTC
What Does the W3C WebRTC WG Work On?
- WebRTC Peer Connection (WebRTC-PC) now published as a Recommendation.
a. Related specifications such as WebRTC-Stats and WebRTC-Priority.
- Capture, Streams and Output-related specifications, including:
a. Media Capture and Streams (recycled at CR)
b. Screen Capture
c. Media Capture from DOM Elements
d. MediaStream Image Capture
e. MediaStream Recording
f. Audio Output Devices
- WebRTC-NV, the “Next Version” of WebRTC.
a. This is what comes after the 1.0 specification.
b. It involves work on multiple specifications, not just a single document.
c. The use cases motivating this work are described in WebRTC-NV Use Cases.
WebRTC-NV Use Cases
Existing Use Cases
- Multiparty online game with voice communications
- Mobile calling service
- Video Conferencing with a Central Server
New Use Cases
- File Sharing
- Internet of Things
- Funny Hats
- Machine Learning
- Virtual Reality Gaming
- Don’t Pown My Video Conferencing
What Work Might Be Considered Part of WebRTC-NV?
Extensions to WebRTC PeerConnection, such as:
- WebRTC Extensions
- Insertable Streams
- Features which did not meet the implementation or maturity requirements for inclusion in WebRTC-PC Recommendation, such as WebRTC Identity and WebRTC-DSCP
Extensions relating to Capture, such as:
- MediaStreamTrack Insertable Streams
- Media Capture and Streams Extensions
- MediaCapture Depth Stream Extensions (recently revived)
Standalone specifications, not related to PeerConnection or Capture, such as:
- WebTransport (in the W3C WebTransport WG)
- WebRTC-QUIC (in the ORTC CG)
- WebCodecs (in the W3C Media WG)
Do you have a topic that you would like to see discussed on WebRTC Live? Let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Never miss an episode of WebRTC Live, our webinar series hosted by WebRTC.ventures Founder and CEO, Arin Sime. We feature the latest use cases and technical updates to this increasingly popular coding standard for live video. Watch past episodes on our WebRTC Live page, our YouTube channel, and on our blog. Better yet, use the form in the right sidebar to join our mailing list and be among the first to know about upcoming episodes and the latest news in WebRTC!