On May 24, 2023, Arin Sime welcomed Amazon Chime SDK (AWS) Head of Developer Advocacy, Court Schuett to WebRTC Live. Court gave us an in depth look at how to use WebRTC with the Amazon Chime SDK to create a Click to Call application that will bridge WebRTC to SIP.
Court began by giving some introduction on the topics he will be discussing, beginning with a description of the two main Amazon Chime SDK offerings pertinent to this discussion.
Amazon Chime SDK WebRTC media services
Amazon Chime SDK media services consist of two different components that work together to add real-time voice and video to an application. AWS media servers provide the back end, which pairs with these front-end clients:
- iOS and Android Client SDK – Embed in native mobile applications to initiate, control, and terminate media sessions
- Components SDK – React components for common UI
Amazon Chime SDK Telephony Services
Amazon Chime SDK Telephony Services provide scalable, pay as you go SIP trunking for inbound and outbound calling, SIPREC, and programmable voice. There are three main groupings, as below. The last, PSTN audio, is the focus of Court’s demo.
- Call Analytics – Generate real-time voice analytics insights from speaker search and voice tone analysis, as well as transcriptions and insights such as call categorization and post-call summaries through pre-built integrations with Amazon Transcribe and Amazon Transcribe Call Analytics
- SIP Trunking – Connect your SIP endpoint to an Amazon Chime SDK Voice Connector for SIP access to PSTN Audio, SIPREC recording, or PSTN access.
- PSTN Audio – Build voice self-service applications, outbound voice notifications, and meeting join authentication using AWS Lambda serverless. Scale to thousands of simultaneous calls.
Bridging WebRTC and SIP with the Amazon Chime SDK
Court’s demo and code snippets showing us how to bridge these two pieces together to create a ClickToCall application starts at about the 8 minute mark. The code is also available on Github.
WebRTC.ventures is proud to be a System Integration Partner with the Amazon Chime SDK to leverage the power of AWS and WebRTC. We also excel in designing, deploying, testing and maintaining secure applications on AWS, exemplified by our membership in the AWS Partner Network (APN). Our services are available on the AWS Marketplace or directly.