On September 28, 2022, Arin welcomed Chad Hart back to WebRTC Live for an analysis of recent open source trends, highlighting today’s most popular WebRTC-related open source repositories. He also shared his views on the WebRTC industry at large and how he feels WebRTC is faring among developers since the pandemic.
Chad has extensive experience as a WebRTC product consultant and analyst. He is the founding editor of webrtcHacks, a blog for WebRTC developers that has been serving the community for 9 years. Chad is also a frequent WebRTC speaker and organizer of the popular Kranky Geek WebRTC Event series. When he is not working with the broader community, he leads a product management team at Hopin.
Github analysis of open source WebRTC repos
Chad will be posting an in depth analysis on webrtchacks soon (update: read the post here!) In the meantime, here are a few points he brought up in the conversation based on his initial analysis:
- 33% activity contributing WebRTC code for the first time!
- Usual names: Janus, FreeSwitch
- Bigger names are incorporating WebRTC into their platforms: Amazon Kinesis, Unity (React Native WebRTC component), Electron, Flutter, Microsoft, Facebook, Go
- Insertable streams is an upcoming area
Questions for Chad included:
- What do you think is the state of open source projects in general?
- Do you see any trends in the projects that are different than in the past? More specialization?
- Any trends around unbundling and use of things like WebCodecs and WebTransport to build it yourself?
- What are your thoughts on the CPaaS landscape as we reach this new stage of maturity?
- How much is WebRTC itself still changing?
- Do you see any big changes coming up?
Watch Episode #71!
Kranky Geek will be virtual November 17! Registration is opening soon.
UP NEXT! WebRTC Live #72 with David Zhao of LiveKit
Wednesday, October 19 at 12:30pm Eastern.
Do you have a topic that you would like to see discussed on WebRTC Live? Let us know by emailing email@example.com.
Never miss an episode of WebRTC Live, our webinar series hosted by WebRTC.ventures Founder and CEO, Arin Sime. We feature the latest use cases and technical updates to this increasingly popular coding standard for live video. Watch past episodes on our WebRTC Live page, our YouTube channel, and on our blog. Better yet, use the form in the sidebar to join our mailing list and be among the first to hear about upcoming episodes and the latest news in WebRTC!