We were sad to hear that shortly after this recording, Subspace stopped operation. It is a brilliant idea, which we truly hope someone will make a reality in the future.
On May 11, 2022, Arin welcomed Subspace Vice President of Global Sales, Davide Petramala. Subspace is a company that we’re hearing more about in the WebRTC space. We were glad to have Davide on the show to help us better understand how Subspace improves network performance and reduces complexity for WebRTC.
The episode began with Davide explaining that Subspace is basically a global parallel internet that is optimized for any type of real-time communication traffic, including WebRTC. In terms of architecture, it looks like a CDN (content delivery network) with a hardened Point of Presence located in data centers all around the world. These PoPs pair with global broadband providers, which gives them that ‘local last mile’ so that users can easily ingress the networks.
What’s more, Substace’s software layer does real-time telemetry on all the activity over the network. This means that at any one time, it knows what is the most optimal road between the users and constantly creates optimized private tunnels to and fro. It takes an AMOS (analysis of a moment structures) score every 9 second based on packet loss, jitter, and latency!
There were lots of great questions from the audience and from Arin. For the answers to these questions and more, scroll down to watch the recording.
- What challenges exist in networking for live video and how does Subspace address them?
- What do you see as the complexities in scaling WebRTC applications and how does Subspace address them?
- Is Subspace a substitution for TURN servers or a complement to them?
- Is Subspace a private network?
- What kind of use cases does Subspace best support?
- Does the re-evaluation result in new routes during a connection? Between backend nodes or between client servers?
- We have seen that the internet through satellites like Starlink is playing a fundamental role in scenarios like the Ukraine war. Does Subspace work regularly when the user uses this type of network?
- How does Subspace integrate with existing applications? Does the tech stack matter? Do you need to re-architect the application?
Watch Episode #67!
UP NEXT! WebRTC Live #68 with Sean DuBois,
Developer at Twitch, Pion WebRTC maintainer, and WebRTC for the Curious author
Wednesday, June 15 at 12:30pm Eastern.
Do you have a topic that you would like to see discussed on WebRTC Live? Let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Never miss an episode of WebRTC Live, our webinar series hosted by WebRTC.ventures Founder and CEO, Arin Sime. We feature the latest use cases and technical updates to this increasingly popular coding standard for live video. Watch past episodes on our WebRTC Live page, our YouTube channel, and on our blog. Better yet, use the form in the sidebar to join our mailing list and be among the first to hear about upcoming episodes and the latest news in WebRTC!